Online

See all articles

Scarborough open for public comment

Woodside Petroleum releases draft proposal to the public

Operator Woodside Petroleum has released its proposal for the offshore Scarborough gas development off Western Australia for public comment.

Australian regulator the National Offshore Petroleum Safety & Environmental Management Authority (Nopsema) confirmed on Friday the proposal would remain open for comment until 30 August.

Woodside’s proposed Scarborough development will target the commercialisation of the Scarborough and North Scarborough gas fields.

Confident Woodside goes all-in on $8 billion Scarborough FEED

Read more

The development will involve the construction of a number of subsea, high-rate gas wells, tied back to a semi-submersible floating production unit moored in roughly 900 metres of water close to the Scarborough field.

The facilities will be connected back to the mainland via 430-kilometre 32-inch gas trunkline, with gas from the fields to be processed at Woodside’s Pluto liquefied natural gas export facility.

The development is a key part of Woodside’s Burrup hub concept and will underpin a planned expansion train at Pluto with a capacity of up 5 million tonnes of LNG per annum, more than doubling the plant’s current 4.9 million tpa capacity.

The hub concept will also see a bi-directional pipeline built between Pluto and Woodside’s Karratha gas plant, allowing the facilities to share gas.

Woodside's Thebe and Jupiter gas fields provide opportunities for future tieback to Scarborough, while the proposed trunkline route crosses the Carnarvon basin in close proximity to other undeveloped fields.

Leading Australian players push for more gas

Read more

The company has said it plans to engage with other resource owners to explore opportunities for future development.

Woodside is targeting a final investment decision on Scarborough next year ahead of a planned 2023 start-up.

Drilling is expected to start in 2020, with the trunkline to be installed in 2022, followed by the floating production unit in 2023.

The second phase of drilling is expected to start in 2025 and Woodside has stated that could potentially include drilling at the Thebe and Jupiter fields.

Woodside operates the Scarborough development with a 75% interest and is partnered by fellow Australian company BHP which holds the remaining 25% equity.

The draft proposal for public comment can be found on Nopsema’s website and comments can also be submitted online via the regulator’s website.

Latest news
Most read